Thursday 25 October 2012

ALL AGES vs. BAR SHOWS

This has been a  debate in punk/hardcore circles for as long as I can remember. I have played in bands that have done both bar and all-agers, and I have played in bands that will not do bars. It all depends on how the other band members feel about the issue. I stand on the side of the all ages shows, my argument being that they are actually age inclusive rather than being age restrictive. If you "feel old" or insecure about going to these, it's not my fucking problem. Also, it always felt like the folks at the all ages shows were actually there for the music, and not just to get fucking stupid on legal poison. And that's another thing. The real reason many people do not like going to all ages shows is because they want to drink. Going out and listening to music means they have to fucking drink. Otherwise they just do not socialize. Stop lying.
   This leads me to AK-47. The previous line-ups were pretty much unanimous about only doing non-bar shows, except for Jamie, who didn't care either way. The only exception we made was the annual Jay Brown Memorial Show. With the new line-up, we are open to playing more bar shows, because I am the only one who maintains the all ages stance. It is not a point of tension in the band. I just didn't want to be the one dictating what everyone else would be doing, or not doing. So now, we will be doing both. Am I a hypocrite, or sellout? Do I give a fuck if someone with no principles or something to stand for judges me? Well, just guess. And sellout would imply that we are getting something for playing. The past almost thirty fucking years of playing this music has cost me way fucking more than I've made. In fact, I never expect to see a fucking dime, and am usually not disappointed.