Saturday 15 August 2015

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS

We were up later than we should have been, just happy to be around each other. I slept better that night than I had in a long time, but was still up by 5 am, not being able to wait to go outside to explore our surroundings. My Dad was up around the same time, so we went on an early morning walk together, then had coffee before anyone else was awake. I said before that I can't explain the way I feel when I am in that country. My mind races between immediate family having been there from as far back as anyone can remember, to the  times of the Ottoman Empire , during which the Turks had been there for over four hundred years, with generations passing thinking the occupation would never end, and indeed for them, it did not. The Christian households would have to give up one male child to be raised as Janissaries , with many never knowing who their parents were, and where they actually came from. My imagination would often be in overdrive, but what can you expect?
   Our early morning walks became a daily event, with the kids frequently joining us, and sometimes in the evening also. My routine became one of going to sleep before ten, and getting up at around five. Holy crap, how unlike what I do here!