Thursday 24 September 2015

RE-READS

I'm currently reading books that I haven't read in many years. It's amazing how much more you get out of a book the second ( or even third ) time you read it.
I've just finished with "The Bridge On The Drina" by Ivo Andric , who won the Nobel Prize For Literature for this book in 1961. He was the only one from the former yugoslavia to have done so. It's a gripping work of historic fiction, based on life under the ottoman empire in Bosnia.  


The book I'm reading right now is called "Inescapable Questions", by the first president of independent Bosnia and Herzegovina, Alija Izetbegovic . An intelligent man who spent years in prison under the tito regime, he comes across as the most reasonable out of all of the statesmen from this region. The one thing that gets me though, is his use of the words "liberty" and "freedom", which come off as incredibly naive. He wonders how the u.s. and other western powers could allow the creation of the serbian entity of bosnia, when it was founded on genocide. How did he think the u.s. was created , out of equal agreements and good will? And what about the u.s. government's greatest ally, israel? Give me a break. Still, it's a deep and good book, very much worth your time. 

As soon as I'm done with this one, I'll be reading "Heavy Radicals", which was sent to me by Jay Watts! I cannot thank him enough. I've wanted to read this ever since I heard it existed!
The cover should explain this enough. I'll be into it SOON.


Take 'er easy, and READ, goddammit!