Sunday 13 September 2015

SUBURBIA



Last week, I had the good fortune to have found and watched this movie online.
The last time I had seen it was over 20 years ago, and what struck me the most, was that I had totally forgotten how dark and sad this really is. Or maybe I'm more affected by it because I have kids now. No matter what, it captures all of the backwardness ( homophobia, sexism, racism ) that the larger society is diseased with, and that punk is not exempt from, no matter how much punk tries to distance and isolate itself from "society". I know that this is a fictionalized account, what with the post-apocalyptic imagery and whatnot, but many things in this film are not too far from the truth.
   In my mind, it is a classic, and you should watch it if you get the chance.
Oh yeah, the live footage of DI and TSOL is fucking classic. I would love to own this movie on VHS.