Tuesday 22 May 2018

PASSION

I saw some recent live footage of the band Rise Against , and while always appreciating their lyrics and stands they take on various issues, I couldn't help but think that their live show has become mundane and routine. There were thousands of fans there, and a huge band banner, and the whole thing left me cold  . Contrast that with the show I was at on Saturday night , with locals The Frostbacks, The Hoosegow, and The Gnar  Gnars and it was a completely different vibe. Our local small time broke ass bands have more spirit and enthusiasm than a thousand big stage festival playing major label rock stars , and have for years . Also I  have to mention that The Motherfuckers from Calgary have been at it for over 20 years, and still spit out their fury like they did at the very beginning. You cannot put a dollar value on a culture like this. Punk is a money losing venture for most bands out there, and they keep going, year after year . I don't know where my life would have been without our small dysfunctional Victoria punk/hardcore scene , and I will never take it for granted. Never. Good day.