Tuesday 25 September 2018

RECIPROCAL

Yesterday evening in a local supermarket, I ran into a young man I hadn't seen in well over a year. I used to see him fairly regularly at various Logan's drunk punk fests. But this time, he looked healthy, he was articulate , confident ,and calm. His entire demeanor had changed. The difference is that he's been sober for almost a year and a half , and he's looking for more out of life than drunken weekends, superficial "friendships" , and fucked up drama on social media, where the loudest voices are usually the stupidest.  We discussed how it is always a bad idea to read the comments section after a news story , where brave morons like to vent their fury against immigrants, gays, and whoever else they have a hate on for at that particular minute. This young man is going to leave this garbage behind for a while, travel and see some of the world outside of north america's borders, which I think is fantastic. We ended the conversation with him telling me how inspirational I have been for him, but I told him that speaking to him had been inspirational for me also. I wish him all the best and hope to see him when he gets back.
  That is all. No angry rants for now . But tomorrow's another day.