Saturday 19 October 2019

MORE HEARTBREAK

I very recently found out that an old friend has passed away due to complications associated with his lifestyle. I don't need to go into details here .

Ryan was a drummer, and played in bands like Laffing Stock and Shiner , who were an integral part of '90s Victoria punk rock. Basement shows, rented halls , house parties, they were there , and had a core of dedicated followers. A band I played in , Nothing To Lose , covered a song off of their first cassette release , called "Coffee Tea Or Me ?" The song was "Needed Reality" .
A group of us would drink pots of coffee and go skateboarding on Sunday nights after watching Get A Life . It was tremendously stupid good times, and I will never forget those days.

I know people always say that the newly passed had a huge heart , but in this case it was true, no matter what state he was in . He'd managed to be healthy at times, but would slip back into old habits, like so many people do . 
The last time I saw him was in the spring, and he had that trademarked huge smile he'd have on when he saw someone he was happy to see. We'd made plans to have coffee, but he didn't make it . He might not have been in the state of mind to remember such a thing , but that's okay. Shit happens.
I am going to miss him .