Sunday 15 January 2023

GREAT FUCKING WEEKEND

 Some folks might know that we played a show put on by Hung of Hung Up on Friday night at The Phoenix on Quadra St., and it was awesome. Good people, good music , and good people in attendance. Fuck yes.

The Hex opened up with their brand of psych/garage rock, and were well received by everyone there. Hung Up destroyed the stage with their hard driving punk/hardcore . It's great to see Roy of AWT back in the game, and killing it as the Hung Up frontman . Their energy was intense , fuelled in large part by drummer Elena, who also plays for Zero Coping Skills. Look for a recording by them soon(ish).

We played last and had a terrific time . It's always nice to be appreciated , and we appreciate everyone also. It's time we got our asses in  gear and recorded also. It's unclear as of yet whether we'll be releasing another CD, cassette, or vinyl. CD is easiest, but does anyone want them ? I mean, I still buy CDs, but I've always bought all the formats. I don't care, I just want a physical album in my hands in any form. We'll see.

The following night I went to see new Victoria band Neurospazm open up for The Keg Killers and The Black Halos. It was another Rockland Punk House ( Esther) production, and the turnout was magnificent !

I had to see Neurospazm since Lettuce crawled back from the dead to grace the stage with his presence once again, and I thought The Keg Killers were done, but the crowd went nuts for them too. But I digress.

Neurospazm started the night with their hard driving mostly mid-tempo bass heavy sound, and it was fucking wonderful ! It was worth the money right there . I am excited to hear what they'll come up with in the studio . Go see them when they play next.

The people went crazy for The Keg Killers, with their brand of non-"woke" punk rock and attitude, none of which is faked. It was great to see them in action. It had been too long, and it was a great time.

I don't usually say too much negative on this site about bands, but The Black Halos were bargain basement Motley Crue hacks. Not into it at all. Any band who look like they're trying too hard to present an image loses me. I left after a few songs. Obviously I was in the minority that night, and that's fine. The locals dominated , and that's the truth.

All photos by John Carlow, that wonderful man.