Friday 7 August 2015

OVERWHELMING

The feelings I get when landing in Croatia are almost overwhelming. They are a mixture of joy, comfort, and disbelief, and more intense once we cross the border into Herzegovina. It's certainly a strange mix, but I settle in quickly. I am elated to have been able to bring the whole family, and they are excited as well. My language skills are put to the test, and although far from perfect,  we get by for the entire trip. ( Just a side note: Our luggage didn't get there on time, but to give the airport authorities credit, they sent them to Capljina the very next day).
   The drive down the Adriatic coast is incredible. We are all exhausted, but can't take our eyes off of the scenery. I stop a couple of times to see if we're actually going in the right direction, ( and to eat ) , and it turns out we are on the right track the entire time. By the time we get to the border crossing at Metkovic, it is dark.


This wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that I fucked up our arrival time, and told my Dad we would be there on Friday the 3rd,  but instead we got there on Thursday night.
  I had actually tried calling before we left to tell him about my screw up, but couldn't get through. So the night of our arrival, we tried calling from a nearby gas station, but again could not get through. We ended up finding his village, which is close to the beautiful little town of  Stolac and knocked on his door at 9:30 pm.