Sunday 6 May 2012

SATISFYING

I watched "God Bless America" last night. It was everything I hoped it would be. It did get a little sappy at times, but it's a very well written, well thought out movie. I can't see this thing getting huge in the u.s.a., especially with the bordering on fascist political climate there, but I think it's wonderful that it got made. The main thing I took exception to was the "america has lost it's way" speech by the main character, Frank. The united states was never a "nice" country, where people respected each other. It was built on stolen, ethnically cleansed land,  with the labour of slaves. It's riches were built on the blood and labour of Third World peoples, and continue to be so today. When was it "nice'?
   Be that as it may, I still enjoyed this film. There is  a lot to be learned, especially for the politically naive. Besides, it was just plain entertaining. Find it. Watch it.